It is time I get around to write about this book. The Luxe is a very popular book among young girls right now. Since I've seen it everywhere, I thought I would pick it up. I was not all that impressed. Elizabeth Holland is kind of the main character but she is joined by a host of characters also telling it from their view. Her younger sister Diana, her fake best friend Penelope, her fiancee, her maid and I can't remember who else all get a chance for a section in their first person. It's very important that we get the story from so many angles, because there are so many secrets, lies and skeletons in the closet that from one angle we would be lost.
My thought for why I did not get so into this book is that I didn't like any character. All were completely selfish and immoral. Perhaps Diana may have been the one I liked if it hadn't been that in the first scene we see her lure a stranger into the cloakroom to make out with. She definitely had the cutest romance of the book. Everyone in the book was in love with someone they shouldn't be.
Set in New York society scenes from the turn of the century, it got my attention for its historical view. I had the thought that it was the turn of the century, why were people still like this, in America even? I'm sure there are still dozens of parties now where I can find much the same assortment of proud, fashion-enslaved, snobbish, continually masquerading, ambitious, back-stabbing, rich show-offs as were in this book.
What I did like about the book, was the end. Not for the reason that it ended but because there was no better way to end the book in my view. A few realizations and a sudden decision to make the most amount of people happy. I may get around to reading the sequel.
My thought for why I did not get so into this book is that I didn't like any character. All were completely selfish and immoral. Perhaps Diana may have been the one I liked if it hadn't been that in the first scene we see her lure a stranger into the cloakroom to make out with. She definitely had the cutest romance of the book. Everyone in the book was in love with someone they shouldn't be.
Set in New York society scenes from the turn of the century, it got my attention for its historical view. I had the thought that it was the turn of the century, why were people still like this, in America even? I'm sure there are still dozens of parties now where I can find much the same assortment of proud, fashion-enslaved, snobbish, continually masquerading, ambitious, back-stabbing, rich show-offs as were in this book.
What I did like about the book, was the end. Not for the reason that it ended but because there was no better way to end the book in my view. A few realizations and a sudden decision to make the most amount of people happy. I may get around to reading the sequel.
No comments:
Post a Comment