Sister Reading

A Reader

This is where I write reviews of the books I read. Not a summary, just what are my thoughts on it with if and why I recommend the book.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

A depressing book. But a great one. As an worldwide disaster event happens we focus on one family. It's good see their triumphs and setbacks because their story is the same as any other small town survivor. I really got into this book and had to finish it before I went to sleep. The first 17 pages were almost boring, but they are so that when the terrible happens the reader can see just how much of a change this is. I liked the girl the story is told through, Miranda. She doesn't handle it well. Not really. Which is what many people would do. She's a very normal self-absorbed teen, who learns what she needs to do. By the end she is the one who saves them all.

What I didn't like was that it really was sad, but as an apocalypse-type book it was rather hopeful. It left you feeling good, or at least a bit relieved even if uncertain. The catastrophe occurs because the moon is too close to the earth, which means that the moon is kinda the bad guy in all this. That made me sad because I love the moon and would feel almost betrayed if this happened in real life.

There is a companion book to this called The Dead and the Gone, which is the same catastrophe but told by a teenage boy in New York City. I think his story is even more serious and not as hopeful so I like Life As We Knew It better. There are many parts to these stories and although I enjoyed Miranda's little romance it obviously couldn't go on very long. How religious faith was protrayed in the two novels was very different and poignant. At times like these (in my opinion, all times) a person needs their faith in God to sustain them but they also need to work and fight to live. As shown in these books, it can be a delicate balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment