Sister Reading

A Reader

This is where I write reviews of the books I read. Not a summary, just what are my thoughts on it with if and why I recommend the book.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I am trying to get a bit wider in my book choice, so I reread this classic by a very controversial author from the 1800's. I do not enjoy this book very much, it seems to ramble to me. Definitely Lord Henry rambles, he is the poisonous character of the book. The word poisonous I like a lot for this work. I thought it in my own head and then read the Introduction by Jeffrey Eugenides that is in my copy, and his last two sentences were, "The Picture of Dorian Gray remains a poisonous book, for the old as well as the young, if for different reasons. This warning serves also as a recommendation." Completely agree!
My morals and principles are a big part in my life, and through most of the book morality and most every other thing that I hold respect for are either dismissed as false or taunted at. I'm sorry for spoiling this for anyone, but I must do a summary of the book to go further. Dorian Gray is a spectacularly handsome young man who had his portrait taken by a friend while listening to Lord Henry talk. (When Lord Henry talks, he speaks poison, his ideas are alluring and corruptive. It is he that supplies the poison of the book. He doesn't even believe what he says, he just says what is shocking. I thoroughly dislike him, although he can be amusing.) After the portrait is finished Dorian passionately wishes that the portrait will change with the years and sins and not his own body. And so, through the years of this book, Dorian throws himself into the worst that people do. He lives the high life of seductions, opium and parties, while keeping keeping his innocent and youthful face.
It is a thinking book, which I don't usually appreciate enough, but it is these books that make us better people. What would I do if I were in his situation? Would I become completely self-obsessed if friends flatter me and my ugly secrets are all concealed? There were many times that Dorian was asked and begged to turn his life around and start doing good, and at these times he would form a resolution to do so- for a day, a few hours, only until new information came. His passion was for anything he thought worth it and changed swiftly. There were pages dedicated to his new loves of jewels and tapestries.
Oscar Wilde says about the three main characters, "Basil Hayward (the artist) is what I think I am: Lord Henry what the world thinks me: Dorian what I would like to be- in other ages, perhaps." It is good to challenge yourself and your mind while reading this book. I just wonder if everyone is up to the challenge of reading it and not being infected.

No comments:

Post a Comment