Sister Reading

A Reader

This is where I write reviews of the books I read. Not a summary, just what are my thoughts on it with if and why I recommend the book.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Most of the books I read are simpler stories with a happy ending and characters that are easy to love or easy to hate. This book is much more real. The story is haunting and the heroine, Mattie Gokey, is confused. The plot goes back and forth in time to end with the day that changed her life.
I want to say that I love this book, and mostly I do, but it is just so real that I'm wincing at what she shows. It is about real life and doesn't gloss over much but instead shoves the ugly into your face. At the end when Mattie makes her decision I wanted to cheer but then again I still see the problems that await her and knew why she didn't choose that earlier. The fact that the right decision is still complicated makes it all the more true.
As a book for young children, I do not recommend it. I believe a child has to have a chance to believe in Charlotte's Web and Beauty and the Beast. There is much swearing in it as well as a few physical scenes and of course it is about a murder. A youth that is beginning to see more of the world and has to start living in it will find a thought-provoking story. Who am I kidding, adults of any age will find a thought-provoking story. Plus tons of new words that are happily defined for the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment